Van driver who failed drugs test arrested after man and woman killed in collision - two children remain in hospital
- Credit: Archant
A van driver who failed a roadside drugs test has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving after a man and woman died in a Fenland collision.
The head-on collision involved a car and a van and took place on the A142 Isle of Ely Way, Chatteris, last night (Thursday September 3) just after 8pm.
Emergency services attended but the driver and one of the rear passengers of the Ford Focus, both in their 30s, died at the scene.
Two children were also in the car. They suffered minor injuries and were taken to hospital, where they remain this morning.
The driver of the van suffered minor injuries. The 32-year-old man from Lincoln failed a roadside drugs wipe and was subsequently arrested on suspicion of two counts of causing death by dangerous driving, and driving whilst unfit through drink or drugs.
You may also want to watch:
He remains in custody at Thorpe Wood Police Station.
Anyone who saw the collision or the vehicles in the lead up to it, or has dashcam footage, is urged to contact police via web chat here: https://bit.ly/2D9KFKH or by calling 101, quoting incident number 478 of September 3.
- 1 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 2 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 3 Man who sent deputy Labour leader threatening email spared jail
- 4 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 5 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 6 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 7 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 8 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 9 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 10 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years