About 250 people sign petition against “toxic” proposed trade deal
- Credit: Archant
On Saturday, 12 Fenland members of internet campaign group 38 Degrees took part in a protest in Wisbech Market Place over the proposed EU/US trade deal which would make being in our out of the EU irrelevant if our government signs the deal.
The British Government and the EU is trying to keep the deal secret but it is so toxic thousands of 38 Degrees members in towns across the country took to the streets on Saturday to make people aware of what is happening.
The trade deal known as TTIP would hand over British sovereignty to large corporations that don’t like our laws and policies.
For example chemical giants like Monsanto could overturn our ban on insecticides that are believed to kill bees and the ban on GM crops and food.
It will also allow big US Health corporations, like United Health, to prevent us stopping the privatisation of the NHS. It will also allow companies to sue the British Government if it passes laws which damage their profits such as raising the minimum wage or putting a freeze on gas or electricity prices.
You may also want to watch:
Around 250 shoppers in Wisbech Market Place signed the petition which calls on Business Secretary Vince Cable to get the clauses which would create these problems removed from the deal or not sign it.
Local Labour Party Candidate Ken Rustidge signed the petition and we hope other local politicians will support our campaign (and the Wisbech shoppers who have signed the petition) by writing to the Business Secretary with the same demand.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend