£325,000 award to help Fenland families get stay active
- Credit: Archant
Lobbying by MP Steve Barclay has helped secure £325,000 to continue a keep fit and stay healthy campaign across Fenland.
Mr Barclay, the MP for NE Cambs, said he was delighted with the award from Sport England.
“Walking football, no strings badminton, table tennis, swim fit and village archery have been some of the fun activities put on in recent years by Active Fenland,” he said.
This was after he persuaded the chief executive of Sport England in 2015 to help secure a £250,000 grant.
“This scheme has been such a success, that it is now set to go to the next level,” said the MP.
You may also want to watch:
There will be a new programme being launched following a £325,000 award to Fenland and Peterborough over the next three years.
He said the new programme was focussed on getting families as a whole more active rather than just one member of the family.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
A full-time development officer in each of Fenland and Peterborough and a part-time administrative at Living Sport will be part of the extra resource unlocked by this money.
Mr Barclay said: “As a health minister, I see within the NHS a growing recognition of the benefit of families being active and healthy, rather than continuing to prescribe so many pills.
“This funding will enable us to build on local schemes such as the newly established park run in Whittlesey and the junior park run in Wisbech, which is great news for our area.”
For more information on the programme of activities available, see the New Vision Fitness website: www.newvisionfitness.co.uk/whats-on.html