Affordable homes are officially opened in Elm
- Credit: Archant
A housing estate of 21 new affordable homes in the village of Elm has officially opened.
The 14 two-bedroom and seven three-bedroom houses at All Saints Close and The Dale are reserved for those with a link to the community, to address the need for affordable homes for local people.
Anne Brighton, Managing Director at Circle Housing Roddons, said: “I am really pleased and excited to officially open this development. We are proud of our strong partnership with Fenland District Council and Balfour Beatty as we strive to build much needed affordable homes and in our communities. We’re proud that we’re able to help those connected with Elm to be closer to their families and jobs.”
The development is a classified rural exception site and two thirds of residents moving into the new properties have a connection to the local area either through family links, employment or their previous living situation.
Councillor Will Sutton, Fenland District Council’s deputy leader and cabinet member responsible for housing strategy, said: “Whilst acknowledging the differing views on the design held by local people, I’m delighted to be here for this celebration.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m particularly pleased that these new homes are on my own patch here in Elm and the scheme is geared towards helping people maintain their links with this community.
“There is still a great need for more affordable homes across the district and we will continue to work with Circle Roddons and other partners to deliver them.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 9 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 10 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
The modern and energy-efficient properties were built by Balfour Beatty and form part of Circle Housing Roddons’ pledge to develop 500 new affordable homes in Fenland between 2007 and 2016.