Alex ready to go the extra mile - or 26.2 to be exact – as he leaves Chatteris to raise money for Magpas at the Chicago marathon
- Credit: Archant
Alex Ashley wasn’t happy with the time that he completed the London Marathon in last year - 4 hours and 19 minutes, no less – so this Thursday he’s flying out to the states to take part in the Chicago equivalent.
Along with 40,000 other competitors, the 25-year-old from Chatteris has been training hard ahead of the 26.2 mile Chicago Marathon challenge he faces this weekend.
“This is a great opportunity for me personally as I have always wanted to travel over to America, as well as, compete in another marathon.
“Everything’s sorted apart from the packing. I’ve had a problem with my knees so I’m just going to have to try and blag it through the race,” he said.
“I’ve been following the training programme they give out, doing two or three short runs a week and one long one on Friday’s.”
You may also want to watch:
This year Alex is raising money for a local charity, Magpas, after he completed the London Marathon for a cause close to his heart.
“My granddad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s so I ran for Alzheimer’s Society and managed to raise £2,000.”
- 1 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 2 Jordan runs London Marathon from garden after catching Covid-19
- 3 Stagecoach bus routes changing due to lack of staff
- 4 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 5 Jail for pair who threatened group with sword
- 6 Tributes paid to 'loving father and perfect son' killed in A47 crash
- 7 Sexual assault claims made against 15 Cambridgeshire police officers
- 8 Plenty to feast upon at the Whittlesey allotment awards
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Councillors quiz officials on flooding concerns ahead of winter
So far this year, Alex’s total has reached over £700, aided by a few charity events he’s held at his local pub, The Sportsman.
“At the moment I feel fine, but now it’s getting a bit closer I am just going to go with the flow,” he said of the upcoming marathon.
To sponsor Alex ahead of this Sunday’s Chicago Marathon, visit www.virginmoneygiving.com/alexashley