All revved up for successful charity night at the race track
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech racing car club has raised £700 for a charity that helps families who have children with special needs.
SMF Raceway held a special race night for Peterborough-based Little Miracles, a parent led support group and charity for families with children that have additional needs, disabilities and life limiting conditions.
The race club, which meets at the Scout Hut in Oldfield Lane, was organised for four year old Tommy Skidmore.
Tommy was born with Goldenhar syndrome a condition that affects between 1/3500 to 1/26000 live births in the UK.
It is a rare congenital defect characterized by incomplete development of the ear, nose, soft palate, lip, and mandible.
You may also want to watch:
It may also affect the heart, lungs, kidneys, and central nervous system. The underlying cause remains unknown.
Family Friend Rob Ambrose, who helped to organise the charity race night, said: “It was a good turn out and a great amount of money raised for charity.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 NFU president visits Wimblington on East Anglia tour
“Tommy is a great kid and he enjoyed it too.
“Tommy is in and out of hospital for various tests and operations for which he puts a brave face on as if it is an everyday part of normal life.”
Tommy took part in the evening when he raced the champions in a special five minute heat.
Mr Ambrose said: “Most obvious in Tommy is his missing left eye and no left ear and the results of a cleft palate, however in day to day life you have to look twice as he is full of character and loves to smile and laugh hence his nickname Tickles.”
Tommy who is nearly four loves cars and motorbikes so he and his older brother Dylan, already racing radio controlled bangers at SMF raceway in Wisbech, I decided to help Tommy raise some money for Little Miracles.