All smiles in Gorefield as �50,000 Olympic grant is secured for new pavilion
THE Olympic Games is set to leave a legacy in Gorefield - in the shape of a �50,000 sports pavilion.
Gorefield Parish Council has secured a �50,000 grant from the Inspired Facilities Fund in order to launch the project.
The money will be used to build a new community hall and sports pavilion on the village playing field.
Councillor Michael Humphrey, chairman of the parish council, said: “We are delighted to have secured this investment, which means we move ever closer to the required total needed to replace the old outdated and fire damaged building.
“This project began back in 1991 when a group was first set up for this purpose.
“Over the years they raised in excess of �60,000 for the project, but in 2009 they disbanded and the parish council, as custodian trustees of the playing field, continued with the project.
“The new facility and location will not only provide a safe environment but the range of potential services and a flexible building design will promote future growth and sustainability and in particular encourage social interaction and cohesion together with additional opportunity for better health and sports recreation.”
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 3 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 4 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 5 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 6 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 7 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 8 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 9 ‘She’s always smiling’ - Connie marks 100th birthday
- 10 Last gasp equaliser saves March Town blushes on derby day
The new facility will include changing facilities, toilets, a kitchen and bar, a foyer and storage space.
NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay said: “I discussed with Hugh Robertson, the Olympics Minister, the need to ensure that legacy money from the Olympics found its way to rural communities and this announcement shows that the Government is honouring its pledge to do so.
“Sport plays a crucial role in community life and as someone who has had a lifelong passion for sport, I am delighted that we will be able to improve facilities in Gorefield so significantly.
“This grant follows tireless work by Cllr Humphrey and his committee and will also send a positive message to other schemes at an earlier stage of their bids.”