All smiles in Gorefield as �50,000 Olympic grant is secured for new pavilion
THE Olympic Games is set to leave a legacy in Gorefield - in the shape of a �50,000 sports pavilion.
Gorefield Parish Council has secured a �50,000 grant from the Inspired Facilities Fund in order to launch the project.
The money will be used to build a new community hall and sports pavilion on the village playing field.
Councillor Michael Humphrey, chairman of the parish council, said: “We are delighted to have secured this investment, which means we move ever closer to the required total needed to replace the old outdated and fire damaged building.
“This project began back in 1991 when a group was first set up for this purpose.
You may also want to watch:
“Over the years they raised in excess of �60,000 for the project, but in 2009 they disbanded and the parish council, as custodian trustees of the playing field, continued with the project.
“The new facility and location will not only provide a safe environment but the range of potential services and a flexible building design will promote future growth and sustainability and in particular encourage social interaction and cohesion together with additional opportunity for better health and sports recreation.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
The new facility will include changing facilities, toilets, a kitchen and bar, a foyer and storage space.
NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay said: “I discussed with Hugh Robertson, the Olympics Minister, the need to ensure that legacy money from the Olympics found its way to rural communities and this announcement shows that the Government is honouring its pledge to do so.
“Sport plays a crucial role in community life and as someone who has had a lifelong passion for sport, I am delighted that we will be able to improve facilities in Gorefield so significantly.
“This grant follows tireless work by Cllr Humphrey and his committee and will also send a positive message to other schemes at an earlier stage of their bids.”