Amazing display of classic cars and vehicles - up to 100 in all- steal the show and the parade at March Summer Festival
- Credit: Archant
You can guarantee the only topic of conversation in the early hours of a Saturday on festival day is the weather.
Showers and rain have become part of the ritual expectation for March Summer Festival and yesterday was no exception; nervousness is part of the occasion.
They needn’t have worried unduly however for cometh the parade cometh the sunshine and cometh the crowds.
The town was packed for a slightly delayed parade (there was a 15 minute wait to allow an ambulance through to an injury in West End Park) but that did little to dampen enthusiasm.
Traditional floats may have been fewer in number this year but a parade of nearly 100 classic cars – a scattering of bikes a van and even a vintage lorry- gave the waiting crowds plenty to cheer.
You may also want to watch:
The parade was headed by the vintage fire engine Vivien from Wisbech and thousands watched the procession as it meandered down High Street and Broad Street before setting out for its usual tour of side roads.
It then headed back into the town before dissembling at West End Park where a huge crowd had gathered for the afternoon and evening entertainment.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
One notable absentee on the day was hard working festival member Maureen James; she fell off her bike on Friday evening and was admitted to hospital. Her colleagues wished her a speedy recovery but in true showbiz style the show must go on….and indeed it did until late in the evening.
And then back today for the finale.