Ami, 25, wins �22,000 Winners Bingo jackpot - and shares almost half of it with her mum
A GENEROUS 25-year-old who won �22,000 at a game of bingo has celebrated by giving nearly half of her winnings to her mum.
Ami Marshall said she wanted to share �10,000 of the prize money with her 48-year-old mother Linda Hawes because “my mum is really special to me”.
The pair play bingo together every week at the Empire Theatre in Blackfriars Road, Wisbech and always agreed to share whatever they won.
“I never dreamed we’d win this much, especially at bingo” Miss Marshall, who works part-time as a receptionist at a doctors’ surgery in Terrington St Clement, said.
“I was so excited. After winning we still had a few games left to play but I couldn’t concentrate on the rest of the games.
You may also want to watch:
“I did have a few tears when it was first announced because I didn’t think you could win that much. For my friends and family it has definitely made bingo fashionable again.”
The money came at just the right time for Miss Marshall and her partner Matthew Day, who works as an electrician.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
They were looking to create more space for their three-year-old son Charlie at their small two-bedroom semi-detached home in St Andrew’s Close, Outwell, which they have owned for five years.
They will put the cash towards a new conservatory at the property but will also put some aside in savings and make sure they have a nice Christmas.
“It would be quite easy to spend the lot!” Miss Marshall said.
Paul Paterson, manager at Winners Bingo in Wisbech, said: “We are delighted that Miss Marshall won.
“A lot of people don’t realise bingo is played in Wisbech but it is a good day out and we are attracting a lot of younger people to the game.”
Membership at the bingo is free and the Winners Club is open five evenings per week, as well as Thursday and Saturday afternoons.