An Officer and a Gentleman! Cambs Fire and Rescue Service video captures moment firefighter Sonya is proposed to by her boyfriend
- Credit: Archant
A Cambridgeshire firefighter got the shock of her life when her soldier boyfriend turned up at Huntingdon Fire Station – in full uniform – and proposed.
The Fire and Rescue Service captured the moment Sonya Hawes was paid a surprise visit by boyfriend Jake Bourne, who popped the question in true ‘An Officer and a Gentleman’ style.
The emotional video shows Sonya burst into tears as Jake, who is based in Colchester, arrives and gets down on one knee – accompanied by her favourite song from the film ‘Up Where We Belong’ being played on the station’s tannoy system.
Sonya said: “There were 20 new recruits in the yard, and a watch being trained, and the whole station has got the song from ‘An Officer and a Gentleman’ playing over the tannoy and I remember asking, ‘Why are they playing this, it’s not even a Christmas song?’
“Then I looked out the window and saw Jake coming up the stairs in his uniform. I’d completely forgotten about my joke about An Officer and a Gentleman proposal so it was completely out of the blue, but it was awesome.
You may also want to watch:
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service posted on their Facebook page: “Who said romance was dead?”
The couple plan to get married later this year.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned