Another electric blankets exchange planned after success of Wisbech Golden Age event
- Credit: Archant
Elderly people will get to exchange their old electric blankets for new ones for free at an event next month.
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service (CFRS) and Fenland District Council (FDC) have teamed up with Age UK Cambridgeshire and Fenland Youth District Council to run the giveaway as part of a Golden Age event at Coates Village Hall, in Coates.
Thirty-five people exchanged their old electric blankets for free new ones at a Golden Age event at the Oasis Community Centre, Wisbech, last month.
The blankets will be distributed by volunteers from CFRS’s Community Champions scheme, who will also give fire safety advice.
Representatives from Age UK Cambridgeshire will be there to offer advice about free energy efficiency assessments.
You may also want to watch:
Wendy Coleman, community risk manager at CFRS, said: “As temperatures threaten to drop in the remaining winter months, many residents will be dusting off electric blankets to stay warm at night.
“However, electric blankets contain heating elements that can be dangerous if broken or allowed to overheat.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
“This scheme is a great opportunity for residents to be safe and get expert fire prevention advice.”
The event, for people aged 65 and over, runs from 10am-1pm on Thursday, March 6.