Plans to build two homes and three double garages in March have been refused

The Avenue in March. PHOTO: Google Earth

The Avenue in March. PHOTO: Google Earth - Credit: Archant

An appeal to build two detached houses and three double garages in the rear garden of land in March has been refused.

Planning inspectors said that the site in The Avenue would have a “harmful effect on the character and appearance of the land and surrounding area”.

The appeal was made by Ralph Pettingill, after the initial application for outline planning permission was refused by Fenland District Council in November last year.

Inspector, Sarah Dyer, said: “The proposed development would have a harmful effect on the character and appearance of the appeal site and the surrounding area.

“The majority of the appeal site lies to the rear of the houses on the road frontage. The character and appearance of this part of the appeal site contrasts significantly with that of The Avenue.


You may also want to watch:


“While I have found the proposal would not prejudice the comprehensive development of the West March strategic housing allocation site, I have found it would have a harmful effect on the character and appearance of the area.

“For the reasons given above, and having regard to all other matters raised, the appeal is dismissed.”

Most Read

The decision was made on July 9.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter