Armed siege in Sutton St James near Wisbech ends in tragedy as man found dead

AN armed siege in Sutton St James near Wisbech came to an end on last night at around 10.30pm when police entered a council house and found the body of Barry Horspool.

Mr Horspool had held police at bay during a 12 hour stand off following an undisclosed dispute.

Police confirm no shots were fired by officers as the day’s dramatic events came to an end. The incident has been referred to the IPCC to investigate.

One police officer received facial injuries during the melee but the officer was later discharged from Boston Pilgrim Hospital. Police played down claims that the officer had been fired at.

Police were called to a house in Chapelgate just before 11am after reports of a man making threats with a firearm.

You may also want to watch:

Officers established that the man was alone in the property, isolated the area and initiated a firearms response operation.

Throughout the day a cordon was established and those in their homes within the area were asked to remain there.

Most Read

A significant police presence was drafted in, including support from Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire officers, along with East Midlands air support.

Trained negotiators engaged with Mr Horspool occasionally being heard to shout through a loud hailer: “Pick up the phone Barry - we’re here to help you. Let us know you’re OK.”

A woman working at the Chapelgate post office in Sutton St James, near the scene of the armed stand-off, said the policeman injured in that incident was seen walking into an ambulance and was not badly hurt.

The woman said: “I think the policeman had some kind of facial injuries.

“The village has been shut down - the police have cars at a lot of the junctions coming into the village and they won’t let anybody in.”

Villagers were asked to go to nearby houses of friends or relatives, or make their way to Sutton St James Primary School in Bells Drove.

Staff and volunteers from the British Red Cross set up a rest centre for residents in the area affected by the road closures.

Lincs police said today a guard had been placed around the house overnight: the matter has been referred to the IPCC for investigation.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter