Two minute silence observed across the Fens and East Cambridgeshire
- Credit: STEVE BARCLAY
It is the most poignant of events in the calendar – Armistice Day.
It was on this day, in November 1918, at 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month that agreement was reached to end the First World War.
It has become the first day when we remember not only those who died in that horrific conflict, but in others that followed.
Locally it was observed with traditional reverence at war memorials across Cambridgeshire.
Others, such as our emergency services, took time out to pause and observe the silence.
Many office and shop workers, too, stood still to join the two-minute silence.
Here are photos from Whittlesey, Wisbech, March and Ely.
- 1 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 2 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 3 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 4 Man dies after van and lorry crash on A141
- 5 Man charged with attempted murder as stab victim is found
- 6 Dealer responsible for £500k worth of drugs caught
- 7 Domestic abuser tried to strangle and suffocate mother of his child
- 8 Hospitals raise car parking costs for first time in six years
- 9 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 10 Man who died in A141 crash named
Photos from Chatteris (where a special memorial was unveiled) follow.