Arrest made in connection with murder of Jess Smith
- Credit: Archant
A 57-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the death of Jess Smith.
The man from, Burwell, was arrested today (Tuesday) on suspicion of conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm and has been taken to Parkside police station, in Cambridge.
Mr Smith, 36, of Common Road, Potton, Bedfordshire, died following an incident in First Drove, Burwell, in the early hours of New Year’s Day.
A post mortem examination the following day concluded he died as a result of a gunshot wound to the back.
In a statement, his family described him as a “good man”.
You may also want to watch:
They said: “Jess was a lovely husband and you couldn’t find a better father.
“He was a good man. We felt honoured to have him as the head of our family.”
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
DCI Jason Gordon, from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire major crime unit, said: “We are keen to hear from anyone who may have information about this man’s death.”
Anyone with information should contact the Major Crime Unit on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
A second man was taken to hospital from the scene with bruising; he was later released.