Arsonists set fire to two haystacks in Pymoor
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters from Ely and Littleport were called out late last night (Thursday) to battle a large haystack fire, believed to have been started by arsonists.
The fire took hold in a field, off Main Street, shortly before 11.30pm.
When crews arrived they discovered two stacks of hay alight about 200m apart from one another in fields on either side of a road.
One stack looked to have been burning for a number of hours while only a small section of the other stack was alight.
Fire crews spent two hours monitoring the stack fires and did not engage in any firefighting action.
You may also want to watch:
They left the scene at 2.10am.
At 7.45am this morning (Friday) a crew from Ely returned and remained at the scene to monitor the fires as they burned out.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
The cause of the fire was deliberate. Anyone with information should contact the police on 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.