As Cambridgeshire murder victim is formally identified, detectives reveal he had been shot in the back
- Credit: Archant
The man killed during an incident in Burwell in which he was shot in the back, has been formally identified.
Jessie Smith, 36, known as Jess, of Common Road, Potton, Bedfordshire, died as a result of a gunshot wound to the back, a post mortem concluded this evening (January 2).
His family have released the following statement: “Jess was a lovely husband and you couldn’t find a better father.
“He was a good man. We felt honoured to have him as the head of our family.”
A murder hunt was launched following the shooting of the 36 year old man at Burwell on the Cambridgeshire/Suffolk border.
You may also want to watch:
A cordon remains in place near the travellers’ site in First Drove where Mr Smith’s body was found shortly after 2am on New Year’s Day. Officers will remain in and around the surrounding area throughout the day.
DCI Jason Gordon, from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire major crime unit, said: “We are in the early stages of this investigation but at this stage we are treating this as an isolated incident.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
“We are keen to hear from anyone who may have information about this man’s death.”
Anyone with information should contact the Major Crime Unit on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
A second man was taken to hospital from the scene with bruising; he was later released.