As massive probe shifts up a gear into Terry’s disappearance, police ponder list of unsolved mysteries

SOME of the unexplained mysteries surrounding the disappearance of a Fenland man have been pin pointed by one of the region’s top detectives.

As the hunt for clues as to the whereabouts of Terry McSpadden moves back to Wisbech tomorrow, Detective Chief Inspector Neil Luckett has spoken of “significant concerns” over his well being.

Fifty police officers begin a detailed search on Saturday of the area in and around Terry’s home but Det Chief Insp Luckett also want answers to some unresolved questions.

In particular, he told a press conference at Kings Lynn, was the whereabouts of Terry’s bicycle which has never been found.

Another mystery which he’s also keen to clear up is what happened to the electronic tag being worn by the 24 year-old when he disappeared.

And there’s also been no answer to whether Terry or another person, using his mobile, sent text messages on the day after he disappeared.

Terry has been missing for nearly four years and Norfolk Police announced earlier this week the launch of a cold case review.

Most Read

Terry, of Outwell Road, Elm, was last seen in Wisbech on the evening of March 1, 2007, before vanishing the next morning.

Det Chief Insp Luckett, from the joint Norfolk and Suffolk police Major Investigation Team, said they were still keen to find his cycle and an electronic tag which he was wearing at the time.

The mountain bike, described as re-painted with black Hammeritetag, and the tag remain crucial to solving the mystery following his disappearance.

Police and volunteers will be conducting an extensive search this week in the area between Terry’s home on the A1101 Outwell Road and the 24-hour Tesco that he visited on the night of his disappearance after spending the evening at the Locomotive Inn.

On the evening of March 1, 2007, Terry withdrew cash at the Tesco on the edge of Wisbech just before 1am and was driven to his home.

It is believed that the Elm man, who worked for a glazing company, went to bed soon after returning home. However, his colleagues were left unsure of his whereabouts when he did not appear at work the next morning.

Adding to the mystery, text messages were sent to a workmate and friend on the day he was due at work, with police confirming they were sent from his phone.

This was the last contact made from his phone but police were unable to verify that they were personally sent by Terry.

Detectives hope the renewed attempts to find out crucial information surrounding the disappearance will prompt someone to come forward and help galvanise their inquiries.

Det Chief Insp Luckett said: “Some people four years ago may not have wanted to talk to the police but people’s lives change, they move on and their allegiances change.”

The latest hunt inevitably re-opens raw wounds for the man’s family, who have been suffering for four years.

His mother, Helen Thrower, said: “It is difficult to remain positive. We can’t believe he hasn’t made contact with his children whom he loved very much.”

Police say Terry’s disappearance was in complete contrast to his character.

Det Chief Insp Luckett said: “Terry was well-known in the community and he was very much a local man. He had a steady job and he had two children here in Wisbech. That’s where his life was and for him to step out of that would be very unusual.”

However, he said: “We can find no trace of Terry anywhere at this time.”

“I would like anyone who has information, however insignificant it may appear to them, about what has happened to Terry, to contact me at the Major Investigation Team on 0845 456 4567.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter