As Whittlesey prepares for vintage bus event, one says: ‘We’ve always been fascinated by Morley’s buses since we went to school on them.’
- Credit: Archant
Transport enthusiasts from across the country will be converging on Whittlesey for a busy day involving classic buses and cars on Saturday May 17.
Buses will be giving free rides to Thorney, where there will be a classic car line-up at the historic Abbey during the Fenland Vintage Vehicle Gathering.
Buses will include a 1986 Leyland Olympian double-decker presented as a member of the Morleys of Whittlesey fleet by its two young owners, Stephen Longmire, 22 and Nathan Merryweather, 20.
“We’ve always been fascinated by Morley’s buses since we went to school on them, and the company has a fascinating history,” explained Stephen.
Morley’s, which ceased trading in 2005 after 83 years, ran many former London Transport buses. “Sadly none of these survive but our bus was new to in London so it’s the next best thing, and we hope is a nice tribute to the much-missed operator,” Stephen added. Michael Murray Signs of Somersham donated the Morley’s decals for the bus.
You may also want to watch:
Classic buses will depart from Whittlesey Market Place during the gathering, which even includes a mystery tour and other surprises.
Judds Travel, which now runs the former Morley’s 701 Peterborough-Whittlesey-Coates service will operate an open top double decker on this.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
Classic cars are welcome to join the Thorney display.
Nathan and Stephen also have a 1979 Bristol VR double-decker, registration BFX 570T, which ran with Viscount Bus & Coach in Peterborough, for which a third shareholder is being sought.
The event is raising funds for are Peterborough Soup Kitchen, East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices and vehicle preservation.
*Event details via www.easternbusgroup.co.uk, 01733 347776, 07587 146229, 07885 835910 or email@example.com or 01733 270983 for the classic car gathering.