Asda announces it is coming to Soham...but not at The Shade
- Credit: Archant
Asda is set to open a new store in Soham, on the town centre site currently operated by James Graven’s Budgens in Clay Street.
Asda have aspired to operate in Soham for some time and contracts have now been exchanged for this to progress.
No precise date has yet been confirmed for the opening but the 7,000 sq ft foodstore will become an Asda store in the very near future, with further details of the timings to follow soon.
All employees at James Graven’s Budgens will transfer across to the new store, and the change to Asda will also mean the creation of some additional new jobs for local people.
ASDA’s senior property communications manager, Philip Bartram, said:
You may also want to watch:
“We are delighted to be on the verge of coming to Soham, with the potential to bring the renowned Asda offer to the town’s shoppers while securing and creating local jobs.
“James Graven’s Budgens has served the community well for many years but this deal suits both parties at this time and it is our intention to further build on the crucial role the store on Clay Street plays in the local community.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
Jonathan James of the James Graven Group, said: “I am very grateful to our customers for the support we have been given since we opened in 2003. The need for a major supermarket operator in Soham has been talked about for some time locally so the decision to let Asda operate our town centre store will be the start of a new era.
“Most importantly though, there will be no loss of jobs with all of our store team transferring to Asda.”