At last hope that former March night club that has been empty for years could be given a new lease of life
- Credit: Archant
Up to 15 flats could be built in March if permission to convert a former nightclub and build a separate block of flats to the rear is approved.
A London development company has bought the 19th century former Minstrels nightclub and bar and insist anything less than 15 flats would not be viable.
A previous application approved in 2009 allowed for 10 flats on the site but h and c architects of Balham Hill, London, say the existing planning application would not give sufficient return on the works required.
“In fact it would most probably make a considerable loss,” they have told Fenland Council in their fresh application.
They argue that smaller flats “are proportionally more valuable” than houses and they argue that the increased footprint of the latest plans are only five per cent over that of the existing permission.
You may also want to watch:
Poor maintenance since 2006 and being left unoccupied has meant the building needs extensive repair and refurbishment to be brought back into use.
With a listed façade, the new owners have been working with the council’s conservation officer to produce a viable scheme. They have also sought a grant from the council’s renaissance fund for listed buildings.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
“This building needs urgent attention which granting the permission would enable,” they say.
No parking is proposed on the site but the developers are claiming exemption on the grounds of the building being within a conservation area, involves a listed building, and their proposals will bring back into use a derelict building.
A March take away was forced to close early last Thursday after water entered a roof exposed by contractors working on the former nightclub.
Chilli Hut opened for business as usual but soon realised there was a problem with their roof caused by works being undertaken on the empty former Minstrels night club which forms part of the same High Street block.
Builders on site promised to restore the roof quickly to enable Chilli Hut to be back in business.
Councillors have yet to debate the planning application since it has only been put out for comment within the past fortnight.
A builder working on the site said he had been asked to carry out “a soft clearance” of the interior of the former nightclub.
Chilli Hut manager Hary Mahmood said: “What they have done is putting my business at risk
“There’s no protection other than a few ceiling tiles so every time it rains it runs into our shop...it is dangerous
“They should have put tarpaulin up to protect the shop.”