Bake off at March leisure centre raises money for Macmillan thanks to mayor’s chosen charity
- Credit: Archant
Bakers bagged a slice of charity action when they took part in a Fenland leisure centre’s contest.
The George Campbell Leisure Centre raised £280 for Macmillan Cancer Support after holding a coffee morning and bake-off challenge.
The cakes were judged by Councillor Michelle Tanfield, cabinet member for leisure at Fenland District Council, which runs the New Vision Fitness centre, and the council’s leisure business manager Simon Bell.
Cllr Tanfield said: “It was a tough job choosing a winner as there were so many fantastic entries. There were no losers though, as everyone who took part helped to raise money for an amazing cause.”
Kay Green, a lifeguard and swimming teacher at the George Campbell, was crowned star baker for her apple, cinnamon and walnut cake.
You may also want to watch:
The event was one of a number held recently, including one hosted by council Chairman, Cllr Kay Mayor, at Fenland Hall in March, the council’s environment staff, the Manor Leisure Centre in Whittlesey and the Hudson Leisure Centre in Wisbech.
Macmillan is Cllr Mayor’s chosen charity for her term in office, with more than £2,000 raised for the cause so far.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend