Bandstand Marathon celebrates London 2012 Olympics in Fenland
BANDSTANDS across Fenland came to life as part of a day of outdoor music to celebrate the Olympics.
Venues such as West End Park in March, Bandstand Gardens in Chatteris and Wisbech Town Park played host to bands such as March Brass 2000, the Chatteris Town Band and the Wississippi Jazzmen for the 2012 Bandstand Marathon.
In March five young people were also given a chance to shine with their debut performances, with Roberta Crabb and Kirsty Smith (percussion), Jade and Jasmine Griffiths (second cornet) and Cerys Pughsley (Tenor Horn).
“It was nice to see the young members of the band enjoying themselves and great that the new members played at such an important event,” March Brass 2000 chairman Peter Sutterby said.
Carol Fuller, who watched the performance of the Wississippi Jazzmen in Wisbech, said: “It was a most enjoyable, relaxing afternoon. Looking around at other people, you could see they were enjoying it too. I hope it will happen again next year.”
You may also want to watch:
Sheila and Keith Seacroft, visiting Fenland from Durham, said: “We were very, pleasantly surprised as we didn’t realise the Bandstand Marathon was happening, or that there were brass bands down here!”
The event was mainly organised by not-for-profit arts organisation Superact and voluntary music organisation, Making Music. It was supported by the Department for Communities and Local Government.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Jail for pair who threatened group with sword
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 9 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
The organisers hope to continue to hold the Bandstand Marathon next year as a legacy to London 2012.