Bandstand Marathon celebrates London 2012 Olympics in Fenland
BANDSTANDS across Fenland came to life as part of a day of outdoor music to celebrate the Olympics.
Venues such as West End Park in March, Bandstand Gardens in Chatteris and Wisbech Town Park played host to bands such as March Brass 2000, the Chatteris Town Band and the Wississippi Jazzmen for the 2012 Bandstand Marathon.
In March five young people were also given a chance to shine with their debut performances, with Roberta Crabb and Kirsty Smith (percussion), Jade and Jasmine Griffiths (second cornet) and Cerys Pughsley (Tenor Horn).
“It was nice to see the young members of the band enjoying themselves and great that the new members played at such an important event,” March Brass 2000 chairman Peter Sutterby said.
Carol Fuller, who watched the performance of the Wississippi Jazzmen in Wisbech, said: “It was a most enjoyable, relaxing afternoon. Looking around at other people, you could see they were enjoying it too. I hope it will happen again next year.”
Sheila and Keith Seacroft, visiting Fenland from Durham, said: “We were very, pleasantly surprised as we didn’t realise the Bandstand Marathon was happening, or that there were brass bands down here!”
The event was mainly organised by not-for-profit arts organisation Superact and voluntary music organisation, Making Music. It was supported by the Department for Communities and Local Government.
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 3 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 4 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 5 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 6 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 7 Cigarette butt in stolen car puts burglar behind bars
- 8 Last gasp equaliser saves March Town blushes on derby day
- 9 ‘She’s always smiling’ - Connie marks 100th birthday
- 10 Missing woman back home
The organisers hope to continue to hold the Bandstand Marathon next year as a legacy to London 2012.