Bandstand should be half the price
AS one of the organisers mentioned by Brakespeare in his article regarding things not going swimmingly (perhaps in tune might be a better analogy) for the proposed new bandstand, could I say that I certainly don t covet the prospect of a £100,000
AS one of the 'organisers' mentioned by Brakespeare in his article regarding things not going 'swimmingly' (perhaps 'in tune' might be a better analogy) for the proposed new bandstand, could I say that I certainly don't 'covet' the prospect of a £100,000 centrepiece.
Something nearer half that price would have been quite adequate for me, the bands and the audience.
If Ely could do it for that sort of cost in their new Jubilee Park why can't we?
I was also interested to learn from the article, that nearby residents are being consulted about this project. While I am in favour of as much public consultation as possible, I would have thought the loyal audience of 100 or so who take the time and trouble to come to the band concerts each Sunday during the summer, should be canvassed for their views, particularly on the proposed location of the new bandstand.
You may also want to watch:
All is not lost, however, because I understand that although Fenland District Council owns the park, it will nevertheless be required to submit a planning application which will have to go through the prescribed consultation process before any work can proceed.
Could I therefore urge any members of the public who have a view on this subject to make those views known to the council's planning department at the appropriate time.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 3 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 4 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 5 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 6 Carpenter 'honoured' by thank-you gifts to mark 25 years' service
- 7 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 8 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 9 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run