Banger racing enthusiast wins world championship
- Credit: Archant
A young radio controlled banger racing enthusiast has won a world championship event thanks to sponsorship for this season from a local garage.
Neale Wade student Mason Christy, 14, has won trophies this year at races around the country including the junior national champion, Welsh junior champion, national third place overall and recently won the Van Bangers world championship at Great Yarmouth.
All of the trophies were won with a sponsored car from A D Sutton of Norwood Road in March.
Mason races many formulas which include saloon–stox, stock cars, bangers, classic hotrods and Reliant Robins.
He has raced all over the country travelling to Hereford for the National and Derby for a range of meetings including a shale meeting where lino is placed on the bends so it is as if the cars are racing on dirt.
You may also want to watch:
He got the buzz for the hobby 18 months ago when he started racing every Friday at March Raceway at Westwood junior school and says he has been given the edge on other young racers thanks to his sponsorship deal.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 7 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review