Barcelona Bangers team hands over �1,000 to Macmillan Cancer Support
A TEAM of four that completed a 1,300-mile road trip from Calais to Barcelona in an old London taxi raised �1,000 in sponsorship for Macmillan Cancer Support.
Mechanic Jonathan Upchurch from March and three friends undertook the ‘Barcelona Bangers’ trip in a vehicle they bought for �250 on eBay, and decorated to resemble a tractor.
Jonathan said: “We had very little mechanical problems with the cab, despite it having 326,000 miles on the clock. There were just a couple of hiccups as we went over the Alps at 10,000 feet, at one time we could see skiers below us. It was a real trip of a lifetime, an amazing experience.”
Jonathon, along with his cousin Jherek Upchurch, Alan Stimpson, and Joshua Harlock, took three days to complete the course alongside 80 other teams, calling in at Lyon, Nice, and Monte Carlo along the way.
“The Monaco Grand Prix had just finished when we arrived in Monte Carlo, so we were able to see the grandstands,” said Jonathan, who runs Jonathan Upchurch Vehicle Repairs in Whittlesey Road, March.
You may also want to watch:
“We bade a fond farewell to our cab in Barcelona, after giving it to the caretaker of our hotel. I would like to thank all our friends and supporters who helped us raise the money for Macmillan.”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 7 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 8 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Man found dead in March