Beautiful gardens in Wisbech St Mary raise hundreds for Macmillan
- Credit: Archant
Proud gardeners handed over £930 to Macmillan Cancer Support, raised from the Wisbech St Mary Open Gardens event.
Chloe Coombs, Macmillan fund raising manager, said: “Thank you for all of your hard work in making this happen, the money raised will really make a huge difference.
“This will pay for a Macmillan nurse for over 33 hours. In that time they will be able to help many people affected by cancer and their families.”
Organisers Jayne and Richard Walpole said: “We didn’t expect to raise that amount of money and we would like to thank everyone who attended and all the garden owners, who worked so hard preparing for the day to make it such a success, it was wonderful.
“Cancer Research is obviously a charity close to most people’s hearts for one reason or another and that’s why we wanted to raise money for them.”
You may also want to watch:
Every year the event is more popular with over 300 visitors exploring nine gardens of the village normally hidden from the public, travelling from as far as Cambridge, Peterborough and Norfolk.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 Man found dead in March