Get your walking boots on for two exclusive behind the scenes tours at the RSPB Ouse Washes and Nene Washes
- Credit: Archant
Guided walks will be taking place at two RSPB beauty spots to discover the wildlife of The Fens out-of-hours.
Wildlife lovers can walk the RSPB Ouse Washes at dawn on May 27 from 6am to 8am in a series of behind the scenes guided tours.
“The wonders of the Ouse Washes” with reserve warden Paul, will show visitors around parts of the reserve that aren’t usually open to the public.
Highlights will include seeing ground-nesting wading birds such as aerobatic lapwings tumbling through the air and common snipe drumming overhead.
Spaces are limited so those interested are asked to book early to avoid disappointment.
You may also want to watch:
The cost is: adult non-members £10, adult members £8 (price does not include booking fee).
Following on from the early morning walk, three “Night walks at the Nene Washes” will take place on the following dates:
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 3 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 4 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
• Wednesday 30 May, 9pm-11.30pm.
• Wednesday 6 June, 9pm-11.30pm
• Wednesday 13 June, 9pm-11.30pm
Assistant reserve warden James will lead three behind the scenes walks of around three miles in length.
RSPB Nene Washes, near Whittlesey, is one of the best places in the UK to hear the strange whip-like calls of the spotted crake and is the only nature reserve in England where the strange comb scratching on paper of the corncrake can be reliably heard.
These walks are limited to eight participants per walk. The cost is: adult non-members £12, adult members £10 (price does not include booking fee)
David White, RSPB Communications Officer, said: “These exclusive behind the scenes walks provide people with the opportunity to experience dawn at the Ouse Washes and dusk at the Nene Washes at this special time of year.
“Both reserves are important nesting sites for ground nesting wading birds and they are also home to some rare nesting birds. Whether you like to be up with the larks or you are a night owl, hopefully one of these walks will be right up your street!”
Booking is essential for all of these events via: www.eventbrite.co.uk
Please ring: 07803 576410 or e-mail: email@example.com; for more information about these events.