Become a volunteer with Eddie’s - a charity for adults with learning disabilities in March
- Credit: Archant
People are being asked to consider becoming a volunteer for Eddie’s which provides an arts day centre in March for adults with a learning disability.
The service has opened for an additional day to meet an increased need and with summer holidays approaching they are expecting a rise in the number of people wanting to go along.
Suzanne Lombardo, volunteer support coordinator for Eddie’s, said: “Volunteers might support someone on a one to one basis with some sewing, perhaps threading the needle when needed and providing encouragement.
“Volunteers might help a group to enjoy a game that supports their number skills whilst having fun or they might help someone to make hot drinks for the group.
“However volunteers get involved they really do enhance the service we provide.”
You may also want to watch:
The aim is to learn new skills in a relaxed and enjoyable environment.
“The group is led by the individuals attending but with a real emphasis on developing new skills,” Suzanne said.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
“With the summer holidays fast approaching we have more members coming -we are asking local people to consider giving up a few hours a week to support the local charity.”
Eddie’s offers a training day to all new volunteers which covers things like learning disability awareness, supporting people with autism and profound and multiple learning disabilities as well as relationship building techniques.
• The next Eddie’s training day is Saturday July 23. Contact Suzanne on 01354 655487 or email Suzanne.email@example.com to find out more. The arts centre is open on Mondays to Wednesdays, 10am to 3pm.