Become a volunteer with Eddie’s - a charity for adults with learning disabilities in March
- Credit: Archant
People are being asked to consider becoming a volunteer for Eddie’s which provides an arts day centre in March for adults with a learning disability.
The service has opened for an additional day to meet an increased need and with summer holidays approaching they are expecting a rise in the number of people wanting to go along.
Suzanne Lombardo, volunteer support coordinator for Eddie’s, said: “Volunteers might support someone on a one to one basis with some sewing, perhaps threading the needle when needed and providing encouragement.
“Volunteers might help a group to enjoy a game that supports their number skills whilst having fun or they might help someone to make hot drinks for the group.
“However volunteers get involved they really do enhance the service we provide.”
The aim is to learn new skills in a relaxed and enjoyable environment.
“The group is led by the individuals attending but with a real emphasis on developing new skills,” Suzanne said.
- 1 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 2 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 3 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 4 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 5 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 6 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 7 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
- 8 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 9 Drought officially declared in East Anglian region
- 10 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
“With the summer holidays fast approaching we have more members coming -we are asking local people to consider giving up a few hours a week to support the local charity.”
Eddie’s offers a training day to all new volunteers which covers things like learning disability awareness, supporting people with autism and profound and multiple learning disabilities as well as relationship building techniques.
• The next Eddie’s training day is Saturday July 23. Contact Suzanne on 01354 655487 or email Suzanne.firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more. The arts centre is open on Mondays to Wednesdays, 10am to 3pm.