Bedford Blues stars run Wisbech rugby training session
- Credit: Archant
Two professional rugby players put Wisbech’s first and second team squads through their paces at a special training session.
Bedford Blues players scrum-half Darryl Veenendaal, whose father Leonard is club coach, and front row forward Nico Steenkamp took the training session focusing on the weekends matches.
They started off with a video analysis session then the players where then put through their match day game plan with a high tempo skills drills before splitting for specialist scrummaging and backs skills coaching.
Second team captain Olly Mackett said: “It was incredibly useful to have coaching from players who have played at a very high level. “With the pointers and direction from the Bedford Blues players we have improved our scrummaging technique.
“This will transfer into our game day scrummaging and we will use the scrum as a weapon against our opposition.”
You may also want to watch:
Coach Leonard Veenendaal said: “You could see the players level increase working with professional players.
“The video analysis session was at a different level to anything we have done and the players were keen to put into practice what was discussed on the pitch.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 6 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 7 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 10 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
“Hopefully we will have some Bedford players back at another training session in the new year.”