Benwick teen who defeated cancer raises £5,192 for Teenage Cancer Trust - in just 13 days!
- Credit: Archant
An 18-year-old from Benwick, who battled – and defeated cancer, is continuing his fundraising efforts having already raised thousands of pounds for charity.
Ryan Large, who was diagnosed with a brain tumour which crushed his pituitary gland and has been clear for two years now, has raised £5,192.05 for Teenage Cancer Trust – in just 13 days.
The charity aims to ‘give teenagers with cancer the chance to still live their lives as teenagers’.
He said of his emotional experience: “I felt so excited that I got some of my life back.
“I’m proud that I beat it and also feel grateful for the care and support of everyone.”
You may also want to watch:
Since being diagnosed and defeating cancer, Ryan has met and rapped with Eminem and Dr Dre, met Diversity at a show and been visited by Steven Fry.
With support from his family, Ryan has completed 11 bag-packing and charity table days at local supermarkets.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
He said he enjoys fundraising because it enables him to make a difference for all the teenagers with cancer.
Ryan and his dad, William, also raised £1,570 in just four hours by selling programmes at a charity event at Wentworth Golf Club.
“We even sold old programmes because we were waiting around two hours for the new ones.
“And I just kept telling my story and people were putting in £10 and £20 instead of £1 and £2 – we had to get another bucket as we were running out of space!”
By holding a charity gig, he raised £170 from just 40 people and his latest bag-packing day at March Tesco’s, last month, raised another £587.
His next fundraising event, at Benwick Village Hall, will take place on Saturday September 26 from 10am to 6pm and will include, as Ryan says, “the whole shebang.”
There will be a raffle, tombola and people dressed up as minions as well as bouncy castles, live music, face painting, ice creams and teas and coffees available.