Bethany is top of the chops
- Credit: Archant
Bethany Hancock is using her birthday party as a perfect place to let her hair down - literally.
The soon to be eight year old is having a roller skating party with buddies and afterwards, while still at the venue, have her hair cut short to make a wig for the Little Princess Trust.
The roller skating fan decided to combine her birthday with a chance to raise awareness and money for the charity which makes wigs for young people who have lost their hair through chemotherapy treatment.
Her mum Kerri Hancock said: “The daughter of a family friend of ours had a wig from the trust when she was undergoing treatment for leukaemia.
“The trust is an amazing charity that does such good work for young people.
“Watching a close friend go through chemotherapy at a young age is scary enough as it is but to then witness their horror at them losing their hair is heart wrenching.
“Looks are very important to a young girl and no hair can mean very low self esteem.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 3 Missing woman back home
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 6 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 7 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 8 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 9 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 10 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
“Bethany recently watched a You Tube video about the charity and she was determined to have her own hair cut to help children less fortunate than her. At first we worried in case she regretted it but she is determined as she said she is lucky when others aren’t.”
The seven year old Elm Primary School pupil is hosting her birthday party at Rollers in Walpole Highway later this month and when the party ends a hairdresser will chop her mop.
As well as donating her hair Bethany hopes to raise enough money to make the wig - about £350. To donate visit Justgiving.com/mopchop4Bethany.