Cambridgeshire woman is racing ahead in the world of biking as she turns her hobby into a sporting success
- Credit: Archant
A mother-of-three from Wisbech St Mary who has been a biker for more than 30 years is now ‘doing it for the girls’ by topping the racing charts around the UK.
Karen England, 48, first discovered her love of bikes at the age of 17, but it was only three years ago that she decided to take up racing.
She now races for the East Midland Racing Association (EMRA) at Mallory Park – who are currently leading the championship at 51 points.
Karen, who is a team member at Worzals in Wisbech, has competed at race tracks in Manchester, Wales and the Isle of Man.
She said: “It is amazing and I’ve met some really lovely people through doing this.
You may also want to watch:
“There is a great community spirit about biking and luckily I have never had any issues being a female, although we are a small minority. But I get a lot of respect.
“EMRA are prestigious and have been around for years so it’s great to be able to ride for them.
- 1 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 2 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 9 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 10 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
“There are six or seven races throughout the year and the season starts at Easter and ends in November.
“I race both my Classic 50 and mainly my Honda RS125 this year.”
Karen’s family and work colleagues are also supportive of her racing – with her husband at hand to help maintain her bikes.
She said: “I was never from a biking family I just used to enjoy going to work and back on my bikes, but then since a friend introduced me to the racing I’ve had people sponsor me and it has really took off.
“The biking bug has never really got to my three girls but I met my husband through it because he sometimes races and builds bikes too.
“You still get the odd person who will come to you and say ‘Do you ride that bike? No way! Wow!’ it’s nice to know that you can still surprise people.”
Karen’s next race will take place at Aberdare Park in Wales on July 21/22.
She is sponsored by local companies Ian Burnett at Alpha Signs and her employer Worzals.
“Their support & help has been invaluable,” she added.