Bin collection time may be changed in Whittlesey to ease traffic jams
- Credit: Archant
A bin collection may be changed to a different time to ease congestion on a busy road into Whittlesey.
Residents living along the A605 currently have their bins collected on a Monday morning at 9am, yet this often causes congestion as commuters have to wait to pass the refuse lorry causing backlogs.
Mayor councillor Alex Miscandlon and NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay have now joined forces in a bid to find a different time to ease the traffic jams.
Mr Barclay said: “Alongside the inconvenience, there is also a safety risk as motorists who get impatient at the delay often attempt to overtake the refuse lorry when it is not always safe to do so.
“It seems surprising that we need to collect bins on a busy commuter route on a Monday morning, when traffic is high.
You may also want to watch:
“It makes more sense to move this to a quieter time in the week.
“Cllr Miscandlon and myself discussed this with Whittlesey residents recently, and together we are requesting the council to change the collection time along the A605 to ease pressure on traffic on Monday mornings.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Man found dead in March
- 10 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
If you have been affected Mr Barclay would like to know.
“Hopefully we can avoid future backlogs of traffic so people do not get delayed on this busy route,” he said.