Blast from the past with a vintage vehicle rally from Wisbech to Peterborough
- Credit: Archant
Motoring enthusiasts brought out their old vehicles with a summertime shine for a road trip organised by a Fenland enthusiasts club.
Members of the Wisbech and District Historic Vehicle Club held the rally which set off from Wisbech to Peterborough for a leisurely ride out in a wide range of classic and vintage vehicles.
The W&DHVC was formed in 1989 by a group of historic vehicle enthusiasts who had difficulty attending their clubs’ meetings held on weekdays in major cities. The local club was aimed at enthusiasts, not necessarily owners, of all makes and classes of old vehicle and for the first four years the club held weekend rallies.
Since 1993 the club held a road run which proved so popular that it became an annual event covering an eighty-mile route around Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire with static displays in Peterborough and Wisbech.
Vehicles owned by club members range from the 1920s to the 1980s and encompass most modes of road transport. There are vans and commercials, vintage and classic cars, motorcycles and scooters.
You may also want to watch:
Some members own classic caravans and camper vans, buses, emergency and military vehicles.
Some attend shows and rallies around the British Isles and have won prestigious awards. Others are still used as everyday transport and not all members own an old vehicle - the club is open to anyone who shares an interest with those who do.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 7 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
Money raised throughout the year and during the road run is donated to charity and in the 25 years since the club started more than £10,000 has been collected and distributed to local good causes including the East Anglian Air Ambulance.
Affiliated to the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs, an organisation that exists to uphold the freedom to use old vehicles on the road, the W&DHVC meet on the first Monday of the month at Elgoods Fenland Stadium Lynn Road Wisbech at 8pm. New members welcome.