Blaze rips through farm in Witchford
- Credit: Archant
FIREFIGHTERS from Ely, Littleport and Sutton were called to tackle a blaze at a farm in Witchford on Wednesday evening.
The fire took hold shortly before 7pm in a barn in Common Road containing farming equipment and tractors.
By the time crews arrived, the fire had spread to involve three other buildings on the fire measuring 30m by 35m in total.
Firefighters used hose reels, jets, and light portable pumps to pump water from a nearby open water source to extinguish the fire.
A water carrier from Newmarket and firefighters from Cottenham was also called to the scene.
You may also want to watch:
The power supply to the property was isolated and high voltage cables made safe by the electricity board.
Firefighters remained at the scene for more than three hours before the blaze was finally extinguished.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental. Preliminary investigations suggest the fire was started by a fault in an electrical energiser.