Blooms start to reach for the sky!
AS the summer weather shows signs of improvement, one man hopes the extra sunlight will see his sunflowers grow more than 10 feet tall. But March man James Goodman, is still amazed at how three sunflowers have managed to grow to almost that height. Mr Goo
AS the summer weather shows signs of improvement, one man hopes the extra sunlight will see his sunflowers grow more than 10 feet tall.
But March man James Goodman, is still amazed at how three sunflowers have managed to grow to almost that height.
Mr Goodman, of Elm Road, said: "They must be about 9ft 10in tall and they are not in bloom yet.
"They face in direct sunlight until about 4pm every day, but they must like plenty of water as well because we have not had many sunny days this year."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Goodman, 78, has grown sunflowers for the last three years. His tallest reached just under 10ft tall last year.
- SAMMY and Audrey Knox have a sunflower, almost 11 feet tall, in their back garden.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
"They just appeared in the middle of our bedding plants and they have taken off to the skies," said Mrs Knox, 79.
In fact two sunflowers, neither of which the couple planted, stand in their garden in School Road, Upwell.
The last time they were measured, the taller of the two was 10ft 8in tall. The smaller flower stands more than eight feet tall, with a 12-inch-diameter head.
Mr Knox also 79, said: "Two years ago my grandson Callum planted some sunflower seeds along our garden hedge.These must have just self-seeded.