Bonfire spreads out of control in Whittlesey
A BONFIRE got out of control when it spread to a tree.
People started the blaze in Blackbush Drove, Whittlesey yesterday (Sunday, August 1) when it became too hot to handle.
When fire fighters arrived at 4.25pm, they discovered the flames had spread to a tree.
Luckily they extinguished it in less than an hour but a Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “This incident highlights how easily a bonfire can turn into a much more serious fire.”
The spokesman added: “If you start a bonfire near vegetation or anything else flammable there is a very real danger of it spreading and it will very quickly become out of control.”
The cause of the fire was accidental.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
- 9 Karen’s three-course lunch with Mayor of Wisbech
- 10 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant