Bonfire warning after Fenland’s firefighters called to extinguish two that got out of control
- Credit: Cambs Fire & Rescue Service
Fire chiefs have urged people to not leave bonfires unattended after tackling two blazes in Fenland over the weekend.
The first fire was at the rear of a house in Elliott Road, March, on Saturday shortly after 10am.
A large bonfire had been left unattended and was out of control.
Firefighters from March fire station took about 30 minutes to extinguish the blaze.
Yesterday, Chatteris firefighters were called to a fire in the open in Westbourne Road at 6.50am. A fire in a garden was out of control and had spread to about 10m of fencing and a small shed.
You may also want to watch:
Crews were at the scene until 8am.
A fire service spokesman said: “Whether you are a resident, business or tradesman, you should never leave a bonfire unattended as these fires can quickly become out of control and spread.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 10 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
“We would instead recommend you take materials to a waste and recycling centre to avoid lighting a fire altogether.”
The spokesman added: “Think about the weather before lighting a bonfire, and avoid doing so in windy conditions.
“Also, it is important to remember to build any bonfires well away from trees, fences and property to avoid it spreading.”