Bonny babies, knobbly knees and glamorous grans - part of the 60s themed Fenland Big Weekender July 15-17
- Credit: Archant
The countdown has begun to the Fenland Big Weekender that takes place over three days from July 15-17.
And it will be a weekend to remember as the Cambs Times and Market Place set out to create a nostalgic look back at the 1960s – and what was happening in the Fens.
Big name groups were among visitors and in our Big Weekender marquee – in the grounds of the Oliver Cromwell Hotel, March- we will be recreating some of that magic.
On Friday July 15 the weekend kicks off with The 6 Ts, one of the region’s finest 60s music tribute bands.
They will play three 45 minute set in the marquee and guests can also enjoy a two course supper with welcoming drink. Plenty of other attractions are included including a look back at what was happening in March and the Fens in the 60s.
Tickets, at £20, are selling fast but if you’d care to join this spectacular evening of live music and entertainment get your tickets now from Paninis in the market place, The Oliver Cromwell Hotel or Greetings Card Shop.
Throughout the following day the marquee will host a gift and crafts fair but on stage will be Punch & Judy and other entertainment, 60s style.
- 1 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 2 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 3 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 4 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 5 Wife pays tribute to ex-footballer who 'I could always rely on'
- 6 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 7 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 8 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 9 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 10 Jury challenged to consider 'substantial body of evidence' pointing to Rikki's killer
We have a baby competition, a glamour gran competition and a knobbly knees contest – all with super prizes. Timings and details of entry (which can be on the day) will appear shortly.
On Saturday evening we recreate the 60s Cabaret Club with a mega 60s showcase.
Graham McGrotty, lead guitar, Craig Bacon, drummer, Tom Harlock, guitar, Mike Drinkwater, keyboards and Jimmy Clarke, bass, are among those lined up to appear.
Tickets for the evening are £5 and obtainable from the same three outlets.
On Sunday July 17 its ‘big screen’ time as the movies come to the marquee.
Our large screen cinema will be showing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at 2pm followed by The Italian Job at 5pm.
Tickets for adults are £5 including a hot drink and cake and £3 for children including ice cream.
Any queries about the weekend please call our main number 01354 661915.
(Market Place is part of Creative People and Places programme developed by Arts Council England with support from National Lottery funds)