Booth springs Lib Dem surprise as Tories lose Wisbech rural seat
SAFETY campaigner Gavin Booth pulled off the biggest shock of the day by snatching one of the two Parson Drove and Wisbech St Mary seats on Fenland Council.
His victory came at a price for Tory hopeful, county councillor Steve Tierney, who lost to his Lib Dem opponent.
Gavin has been chairman of Parson Drove Parish Council but its’ been his work as chair of the Fenland Rural Road Safety Action Network that has brought him much wider appeal.
His surprise victory doubles the number of Lib Dem councillors at Fenland Hall as he joins Wisbech councillor Dave Patrick for what now looks likely to be the Tories’ official opposition.
PARSON DROVE AND WISBECH ST MARY
You may also want to watch:
Gavin Booth (Lib Dem) 652
- 1 Bombshell result in village polls leaves 115 homes plan in doubt
- 2 Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- 3 Slimmer crowned 'greatest loser' after dropping four stone
- 4 Jail for man who broke partner’s nose and intimidated witness
- 5 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 6 Thunderstorms set to hit Cambs after hot intense weekend
- 7 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 8 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 9 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 10 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
David Goode (Lab) 303
Mary Lane (Lib Dem) 405
Robert Scrimshaw (Con) 849
Steve Tierney (Con) 602