Booth springs Lib Dem surprise as Tories lose Wisbech rural seat
SAFETY campaigner Gavin Booth pulled off the biggest shock of the day by snatching one of the two Parson Drove and Wisbech St Mary seats on Fenland Council.
His victory came at a price for Tory hopeful, county councillor Steve Tierney, who lost to his Lib Dem opponent.
Gavin has been chairman of Parson Drove Parish Council but its’ been his work as chair of the Fenland Rural Road Safety Action Network that has brought him much wider appeal.
His surprise victory doubles the number of Lib Dem councillors at Fenland Hall as he joins Wisbech councillor Dave Patrick for what now looks likely to be the Tories’ official opposition.
PARSON DROVE AND WISBECH ST MARY
You may also want to watch:
Gavin Booth (Lib Dem) 652
- 1 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 2 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 3 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 4 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 5 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 6 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 7 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 8 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 9 ‘Tired and dated’ road can only get better with our 40 new homes, say builders
- 10 'Marvellous' Lilian celebrates 103rd birthday
David Goode (Lab) 303
Mary Lane (Lib Dem) 405
Robert Scrimshaw (Con) 849
Steve Tierney (Con) 602