Botched attempt to clear bee nest from top of chimney causes fire in Manea
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters battled for more than four hours to tackle a chimney fire on Sunday after a home owner’s attempt to clear a bee nest from the top of her chimney went wrong.
One crew from Chatteris was called to a chimney fire in High Street, Manea, at 11.20am.
A bee nest had been at the top of a chimney and the owner had started to light a fire to clear it, but caused a chimney fire.
A fire service spokesman said: “Waxy conditions in the chimney, owing to the bee nest, made it very difficult for crews to extinguish it. A turntable ladder from Cambridge was called to assist the operation.
“Firefighters extinguished the fire and returned to their stations by 4pm.”
You may also want to watch:
Station commander Richard Dykes said: “If homeowners discover a bee or wasp nest in their chimney or at the top of it, we would urge them to get it inspected and removed by a professional.
“Lighting fires is not an effective way to clear these nests and we would encourage people not to do this.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire