Bowls introduced to enthusiastic children at March youth club Young People March
- Credit: Archant
A group of keen youngsters were introduced to short mat bowls at a youth club on Tuesday,
Two members of The Cambridgeshire Short Mat Bowls Association attended the Young People March centre to introduce the sport to the youth club members.
Equipment for the demonstration was donated by various bowls clubs and The Open Chest charity shop.
The association is trying to promote the sport among the younger generation in the hope of creating a county youth team.
Tony Hart, of Cambridgeshire Short Mat Bowls, said: “It was interesting and gratifying to note that several of the students very quickly picked up the required stance and speed necessary when delivering the bowls.
You may also want to watch:
“The Cambridgeshire Short Mat Bowls Association has a desire to encourage and develop the sport amongst the age range of the 11 to 18 year olds of both genders, ultimately creating a county youth team that could hold its own against other county youth teams.
“It has been noticed in other counties that parents who bring their children to the organised sessions have in several instances become involved as players themselves and it is with this in mind that we would encourage parent involvement.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
If there are any other youth clubs or schools in the county that would like to become involved in the sport contact Tony Hart on 01354-741919 or e-mail email@example.com