BRAKESPEARE: Looking forward to Wisbech Town FC’s match against Walsham-le-Willows
I HAVE to confess to looking forward to tomorrow when our paper sponsors Wisbech Town FC’s home match against Walsham-le-Willows and renewing my acquaintance with die-hard Wisbech Town fan and programme editor Spencer Larham.
Larham has been a Wisbech Town fan for 16 years and has missed only one game in the last seven years.
“I feel pride whenever we play and we do well, because I think sometimes you have games when you’re proud of the players when maybe they have lost,” he said.
“The first game at the new ground was very important for us because we needed to get off on the right foot, having been out of the town for a couple of years.
“I was very proud of the club that day, not just the players, but the club for achieving that goal of getting back into the town and attracting 600-odd people to come watch a game of football, which is not easy at this level.”
You may also want to watch:
Larham feels the only thing missing for Wisbech Town is a derby day, given that rivals King’s Lynn Town are in a different league.
“Lynn are our main rivals but obviously them being in a different league means we cannot meet them, but we know they’re there, put it that way,” he said.
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 7 Lorry driver loses control on motorway in booze-fuelled collision
- 8 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 9 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 10 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
“If March could get promoted then we might have one. Our derby at the moment is Ely, which is 27 miles away.”
Tomorrow I shall enjoy the adventure.