BRAKESPEARE: Most intriguing book launch planned for 2011 - the biography of ex-Fenland crim Billy Martindale
MR Martindale is not one to hide his light under a bushel and tells me the book is due out in April.
Writing, curiously, in the third person he says it “describes his early life on the streets of Manea and London and the subsequent life of crime which led to him being on the run for 16 years from the police.
“Billy lives in Essex with his wife Tina and their children and is on the ‘straight and narrow’ and has been for years.”
He adds: “The point of the book is not to glorify crime, but to show others how lonely this type of life can be.
“One of Billy Martindale’s other missions is to give talks at schools in deprived areas, or anywhere that requests him. The point of this is to show teenagers what damage a life of crime can cause to your life and hopefully encourage them to stay away from it.”
Billy does, indeed, seem a reformed character and he also tells me some of the book’s proceeds will be going to a cancer charity.
- 1 Thousands descend on Chatteris as town lights up for Christmas
- 2 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 5 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 6 Auditor who fell ill on eve of farmgate report not returning to council
- 7 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 8 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
- 9 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home
- 10 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'