BREAKING NEWS: Bungalow explodes after metal thieves remove boiler parts
FIRE fighters say they are certain that metal thieves caused a Leverington semi detached bungalow to explode in the early hours of today.
The house in Leonard’s Road blew up at 12.45am and the neighbours were forced to evacuate.
Residents in the area say police had visited the bungalow several times throughout the weekend.
Fire service incident commander Gary Reach said he was “99.9 per cent sure” that the explosion was as a result of metal theft.
“We have ruled out all the other possibilities,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
The bungalow is totally destroyed and neighbours Ian Gowler and Mavis Stails have been forced to move out.
Mr Gowler said: “I feel a little bit sick it’s happened and helpless, too, as I can do nothing about it.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
He added: “I am just relieved that I and the missus didn’t get hurt.”
MORE TO FOLLOW SOON