BREAKING NEWS: Cambridgeshire County Council says YES to safety campaign and YES to first Bedlam Bridge barriers

SUPPORTERS of a Fenland road safety committee were celebrating tonight after being told Cambridgeshire County Council had agreed joint funding for barriers at Bedlam Bridge near March.

Graham Chappell, founder of the Fenland Road Safety Campaign (Charlotte’s Way) has campaigned since 2008 to get the barriers and has raised thousands of pounds to help pay for them.

In April a county council panel comprising five councillors and officers looked at all applications and today announced the Bedlam Bridge scheme could go ahead.

Alan Kinninmonth, hero of the May 2007 two-vehicle immersion accident in which he rescued two small children from the rear of a sinking vehicle, had worked with Mr Chappell to present the case in support of the bid.

“The panel members were highly complimentary about the technical quality and level of detail and fundraising aspects of the campaign’s bid,” he said.


You may also want to watch:


NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay supported the bid and last year persuaded Roads Minister Mike Penning to visit Bedlam Bridge personally to see how the barriers might work.

The road safety campaign – launched following the death of Charlotte Walker- became a registered charity last November and its first AGM will be held at The Oliver Cromwell Hotel, March, 7.30pm, Tuesday June 19.

Most Read

Anyone interested in attending please let Mr Chappell know so that sufficient space and refreshments can be provided.

Contact: For more details of the Campaign phone 07505 726475, e-mail chappell@frsc.co.uk or visit the ‘facebook’ group site – ‘The Fenland Road Safety Campaign (Charlotte’s Way).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter