BREAKING NEWS: Five held after lunchtime raid on former Wisbech night club as police recover 100 bags of deadly drugs
FIVE men- at least two of them thought to be Russians- were arrested in a lunchtime raid on a Wisbech squat on suspicion of supplying killer drug crystal meth.
Detectives raided the former night club at 1-6 Royal Place as part of a burglary probe and stumbled across large quantities of drugs.
At least 100 bags of suspected crystal meth- a powerful stimulant that can be swallowed, snorted or injected- was seized and is now being examined by forensics.
Detective Inspector Dave Murphy, who led the raid, said the drug, if confirmed, was a major find.
“It is a one of the most addictive drugs there is,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
Police said the five, aged 30, 35, 43, 23 and 32, have been arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply.
“They are currently in custody at Kings Lynn Police Investigation Centre, “said a police spokesman.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
The building is owned by JFT Maintenance Services of Kings Lynn whose managing director Paul Turner confirmed that squatters had moved in this summer.
He said permission had been given a year ago to convert the building into a shop, restaurant and nine flats and bedsits and that work was under way.
Mr Turner said that before his company had started on the final phase of development two Russians had moved in, claiming squatters’ rights. For some weeks he had been working to remove them through a court order.
“We’ve owned the property for some time,” he said. “The problem was the squatters got in before we had the chance to secure the whole of the building.”
His workmen would normally have been on the site today but last night, he said, his foreman rang him late to say he was ill.
FACT: Crystal Meth is an illegal class A drug. The maximum penalty for possession is seven years in prison. For supply its life in prison. You can get an unlimited fine for both.