BREAKING NEWS: Life for Wisbech killer and girlfriend jailed for lying to protect him

A WISBECH factory worker who stamped his next door neighbour to death has today been jailed for life.

Tomas Acas, 26, was sentenced for the killing of Jolanta Dumciuviene, 38, while his girlfriend, Airina Matulaityte, 24, was jailed for two years after earlier admitting perverting the course of justice.

Last month, Acas was found guilty of murdering Miss Dumciuviene in her room in a house she shared with others in Milner Road, Wisbech.

A trial at Cambridge Crown Court heard how Acas’s victim was not found until three days later, on May 7 last year, when friends became concerned about her disappearance.

Today, Judge Anthony Bate sentenced Acas to life - telling him he would serve a minimum of 16 years in prison.

Judge Bate also commended the police investigation team for solving what he called “a complicated whodunnit”.

Matulaityte, of Milner Road, Wisbech, lied to police about Acas’s movements on the night in question, delaying his arrest and leading to a man being arrested who was later released without charge.

Most Read

Detective Superintendent Jeff Hill, who led the police inquiry, said: “I hope this sentencing will allow Jolanta’s family and friends in Lithuania to move on, knowing that justice has been done.

“Our thoughts are with Jolanta’s husband, who attended most of the trial, and her children back in Lithuania.

“Jolanta came to this country to earn money for her family but had the misfortune to cross paths with a brutal killer. Acas will now have plenty of time to think about the devastation he has caused by committing such a despicable crime.”

A post mortem examination revealed Miss Dumciuviene had died from injuries to her chest, including a ruptured liver, a number of broken ribs and internal bleeding, that could have been caused by stamping.

She also had extensive damage to her throat, also possibly as a result of stamping.

She had worked with Acas at the Del Monte canning factory in Wisbech and lived next door to him in Milner Road. She disappeared on May 4 after a barbecue at Acas’s home.

After the killing, Acas returned to the scene of the crime and tried to hide her body under her bed. The court heard his blood and a fingerprint were found in the bedroom.