BREAKING NEWS: Melton enjoys sweet taste of success as Tories score early triple
JUBILANT Tories celebrated three quick victories in Fenland today - including that of Council Leader Alan Melton.
Cllr Melton’s narrow win four years ago in Birch Ward was but a distant memory today as he recorded a resounding victory over Lib Dem Christine Colbert with UKIP’s Sandra Rylance beaten into third place.
Cllr Melton said after his win: “I’m delighted, to be fair I’m ecstatic to get 54.7 per cent of the votes in the highest turnout ever in the ward.
“It is an overwhelming majority. It’s a proper majority because my increase in votes has gone up substantially.
“I see it as a vindication of all the hard work that I have done for my ward the town of Chatteris and as my work as leader of Fenland District Council.
You may also want to watch:
“I was nervous because Christine is a very good candidate who has worked hard but I see this as a true vindication of what I have done.
“Despite criticism levelled at me over the last four years I have been completely backed by the people that really count, and that is the voters. I will not let them down.”
- 1 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 2 Campsite owner's pledge to conserve water meadow
- 3 Couple swap healthcare for glamping with new venture
- 4 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
- 5 How defibrillator access varies across the Fens and East Cambridgeshire
- 6 Damning care home report reveals all areas ‘require improvement’
- 7 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 8 ‘It’s a sad thing really’ - vandalism at village church and war memorial
- 9 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
And there was more good news for the Tories in Whittlesey and Wisbech.
Former Whittlesey mayor and Cabinet member Ken Mayor polled 392, a comfortable 278 majority over his Lib Dem opponent Tracey Wilkes.
In Wisbech Carol Cox saw off a hoped for resurgence by Labour’s Ann Purt and Lib Dem Robert McLaren was clearly among the also rans.